1940’s-1970’s – From Distributor to Manufacturer
Originally based in Cleveland, Ohio, Superior Tool Company was founded in 1946 as a distributor of U.S. Government surplus hand tools from World War II. For the next 50 years, Superior manufactured a wide range of products… mostly tubing/pipe tools and hex key wrenches that were sold through hardware distribution.
1980’s – Superior Creates the Professional Plumbing Tool Category
In the late 1980s, Superior created a new product category for retailers—“American-Made, Professional Quality Pipe Working and Plumbing Tools”—to be merchandised in the plumbing aisles at the then-emerging big boxes and soon thereafter at smaller hardware stores and home centers. Hard-goods retailers everywhere began selling Superior’s professional quality tools to a wide range of end-users and professional plumbers.
1990’s – Superior’s Innovation Continues
By the late 1990s, Superior intensified its development of innovative tools for plumbing and, in the new millennium, Superior has introduced many useful proprietary products as the SinkDrain Wrench®, Drain Stick™, ShutOff Wrench™, BasinBuddy™ and more. These new products helped drive company growth and earned us the Weatherhead 100 award as one of the fastest-growing companies in Cleveland—among other awards.
Superior New Beginnings
In August of 2020 C.H. Hanson purchased Superior Tools and added it to our company’s family of fine brands. Hanson’s dedication to value-based products, outstanding customer service and commitment to innovation fit perfectly with Superior’s efforts.
American-Made / Midwestern Values
Wherever possible we embrace U.S. manufacturing instead of foreign made product. We always look for American parts suppliers and product suppliers who can compete and win in the global marketplace. Many of the parts used in our tubing cutters and other products still come from long-term trusted suppliers in the Cleveland area.
Superior’s History of Recognition
Superior has enjoyed a long history of receiving recognition for innovation, including a number of recent awards:
- 2020 – C.H. Hanson purchases Superior Tool. Hanson will invest heavily in R&D, marketing to advance Superior’s innovation and production of “plumbing tools for professionals.”
- 2007 – eVolution in Manufacturing Award from Cleveland-based MAGNET (Manufacturing Advocacy & Growth Network) and Smart Business magazineDealer Design Silver Award in the Tool Category from Air Conditioning | Heating | Refrigeration News magazine
- 2007 – Power of Partnerships Award with Tecate Industries, a division of the Tecate Group and San Diego-based Maxwell Technologies
- 2007 – eVolution in Manufacturing Award from Cleveland-based MAGNET (Manufacturing Advocacy & Growth Network) and Smart Business magazine
- 2007 – Recognized by the American Hardware Manufacturers Association for 60 years in business
- 2002 – Nortech Innovation Award for the DrainStick™
- 2001 – Outstanding Partnership Initiatives recognition from Lowe’s
- 2001 – The Handyman Club of America’s Member-Tested Seal of Approval for the DrainStick™
- 2001 – Retailer’s Choice Award from Do-It-Yourself Retailing magazine for the DrainStick™
- 2001 – Nortech Innovation Award for Bayonet Threadless Tubular™
- 2000 – Finalist in the Innovators in Customer Service category of the Inc./Cisco Growing with Technology Awards
- 1998 – Outstanding Growth Company, on the Weatherhead 100 List of the fastest growing firms in Northeast Ohio
- 1997 – Outstanding Growth Company, on the Weatherhead 100 List of the fastest growing firms in Northeast Ohio
- 1996 – Outstanding Growth Company, on the Weatherhead 100 List of the fastest growing firms in Northeast OhioFor 60 years Superior has stood behind every tool like no other company. Every tool has a lifetime guarantee. Every customer can expect personal telephone service from knowledgeable full-time company representatives. Superior makes it happen.
With a company culture that is intensely focused on serving the needs of users of its tools–and 60 years after its founding–Superior is the dependable source for innovative products that make plumbing jobs faster and easier. And, Superior stands behind every tool like no other company–with lifetime guarantees and a commitment to personal telephone service from knowledgeable full-time company representatives. Superior – “Make it Happen™”